Tuesday 15 November 2016

THE COMMITMENTS


The Commitments is one of those films that I always meant to see but never got round to it so last night I went into the theatre not really knowing the main storyline. I was familiar with the famous songs “Mustang Sally”, “In the Midnight Hour”, "I heard it through the grapevine", "River Deep, Mountain High" and “Try a Little Tenderness" so quite surprised why I'd never seen it before.

The story is set in Dublin in the 1980’s when an ambitious band manager, Jimmy Rabbitte (Andrew Linnie) and a group of aspiring musicians get together in the hope of forming a band. Jimmy wants to manage the world’s greatest soul band and holds auditions at his dad's house played by Kevin Kennedy of Coronation Street Fame. He calls the band “The Commitments” and together they attempt to head up an Irish soul revolution.

The band is made up of egotistical lead singer, Deco played by a brilliant Brian Gilligan, when he belted out Proud Mary in the opening number as a drunk at the Christmas party, I knew I wasn't going to be disappointed. The talented band members were all musicians playing their own instruments too, pianist, drummers, guitarists, saxophonist and trumpeter. Each and every band member had their own hilarious character. The 3 backing singers had superb voices and dance moves to match.

I loved how we were their audience at a gig, they certainly deserved the standing ovation at the end, it was a fun and feel good show, I can't wait to watch the film now.

So in the words of 'Wilson Pickett'.......Do you like Good Music, Sweet soul music?.....if so you need to get your tickets before its too late. At the Regent Theatre until Saturday 19th November http://www.atgtickets.com/venues/regent-theatre/

No comments: